I am aware most, if not all, of these probably won’t be news to you, but perhaps this list can still serve as a motivation and a little reminder to be kind to yourself and make the most of life 🙂 I also know that we are all different and have different dreams, which is why I tried to connect this as little as possible to my own and only collected those points that I think most people would confirm increase their health and happiness.
I, I did it all‘I Lived’ by OneRepublic
I, I did it all
I owned every second that this world could give
I saw so many places, the things that I did
With every broken bone, I swear I lived
- drink enough water
- eat mostly whole foods & a good variety of them (if you have really bad cravings for unhealthy, processed foods often, there are websites that give you helpful tips on which healthy foods can satisfy different cravings, e.g. fresh orange juice can satisfy your craving for chocolate)
- try listening to your body when it comes to when, how much, and what to eat -> intuitive eating (notice at what times during the day you are actually hungry and for what in contrast to when/what you would normally eat out of habit)
- find a form of physical exercise that you enjoy (e.g. walking, dancing, swimming, yoga) and do it daily
- stretch/massage/relax your muscles, especially after exercising or long stretches of time spent in the same position
- go outside and get some fresh air & sun
- find a form of artistic expression that you enjoy and practice it in your free time (e.g. writing, making music, dancing, drawing, acting)
- find a form of expressing self-love that resonates with you (meditation, yoga, saying words of affirmation out loud to yourself)
- spend quality time with friends & family (talking, being active/ creative, ideally away from technology)
- spend less time on social media/ the internet/ electronic devices; use them only for content you feel actually interests you & adds value to your life instead of surfing mindlessly (try going without social media/ your phone for a while to find out what this means for you)
- spend time by yourself without distractions, just thinking about the important questions (Where am I at right now? Who do I want to be? What do I want to do with my life? What do I have to do to get there?)
- get rid of any posessions/midsets/habits/people that you might realise are holding you back from fulfilling your dreams -> minimalism in all aspects of life (having only what is important and adds value)
- come up with some powerful thoughts/phrases that make you feel confident and motivated to take the necessary steps to become the best version of yourself (words of affirmation & words of motivation)
- take some moments of stillness throughout the day to repeat these phrases to yourself so that you are constantly reminded of your goal and of the fact that you are worthy of it as well as able to achieve it
- find a cause that is important to you (e.g. protection of the environment, animal rights, womens’ rights…) & find out how you can contribute to it (volunteering, lifestyle changes, activism, spreading awareness, donating)
- try to be more present, really take in the experiences you are having in each moment -> take things more slowly, try not to rush/multi-task all the time (this will help you to better recognise and take valuable opportunities when they arise & will make you more aware of and thankful for the good things in your life)
- always search for ways in which you can be kind to others (smile, avoid talking badly about people, make honest compliments, offer your help, ask people about how they are feeling and if there’s anything you could do to improve their day…)
- become active now & take small steps everyday; don’t procrastinate on fulfilling your dreams!
In conclusion, take care of your physical health by improving your eating and exercising habits and of your mental health by being kind to yourself and others, spending time on the things you enjoy, practising mindfulness, and working on your ultimate goals. Become active now and take little steps everyday, they will add up to something great!
Thank you for taking the time to read this post! I hope it was able to inspire and motivate you to start taking small steps towards transforming your life for the better. Don’t let yourself be discouraged by all the crazy things going on around you and perhaps sometimes also in your mind during these confusing times in this hectic world. Try to focus on what’s important to you and trust that you are capable of achieving your dreams.